Re: nxhtml-mode from OurComments.org

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: nxhtml-mode from OurComments.org
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:36:43 +1000

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I try to use `nxhtml-mode' from OurComments.org, but I
>>> constantly get errors -- within GNU Emacs 23, both on Ubuntu
>>> 8.04 and on Windows -- such as this one:
>>>

>> At a guess, I'd say that the nxhtml.el you are trying to install is
>> conflicting with the version that is bundled with emacs 23. Is there any
>> reason you want to use this version instead of the one that comes
>> bundled with emacs 23?
>
> There is no nxhtml.el bundled with Emacs. It is nXml, not nXhtml, that is
> bundled with Emacs 23.

Oops, I misread the OPs post.

> nXhtml is using nXml and nxml-mode is derived from nxhtml-mode.

Isn't it the other way round?

> When the load routines for nXhtml discovere that you are using a version of
> Emacs that includes nXml it will use the version that is included in
> Emacs. (Otherwise it uses the version that comes with nXhtml and is the
> original version from James Clark.)
>
>> If there is, what you probably need to do is make sure your locally
>> installed one appears in the load-path before the once bundled with
>> emacs.
>
> So you should not do this. Please see above.

Hmm. While I see your point, I would still be suspicious that if you
have nxhtml-mode and iff it comes with nxml-mode, then it would be quite
feasible that depending on load-path settings, you may pick up parts
from the different versions of nxml-mode, which in turn could result in
inconsistencies if there has been changes made to one version and not
the other.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au