Re: Special character Emacs

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Special character Emacs
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:11:33 -0500

Andreas Wittmann wrote:
Hello everybody,

i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs. Especially i ned
this character very often when working with LaTeX or R. Can someone
give me a hint what to do here? I guess there's something missing in
the .emacs-file? I have a Samsung R50 laptop with a german keybord.
I found out that if i do 'C-x 8' then it is possible to do the ^ sign,
but i
would be much better if this is also possible after loading emacs.

Here's my .emacs.file

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/
paste it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(current-language-environment "German")
 '(default-input-method "german-postfix")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(iso-accents-mode t)
 '(iso-accents-customize "german")
 '(iso-ascii-convenient t)
 '(latin1-display t nil (latin1-disp))
 '(line-number-mode t)
 '(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel))
 '(paren-mode (quote paren) nil (paren))
 '(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select))
 '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
 '(standard-indent 2)
 '(tab-always-indent nil)
 '(tab-width 2)
 '(truncate-lines t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 '(default ((t (:size "10pt" :family "Courier New")))))

Thank you and best regards

Andreas

If this is the caret (on 6 key on American keyboards) then you could certainly just assign an unused key or key combo to this character using define-key or global-set-key:

(global-set-key [f6] (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?^ )))

Put in .emacs or evaluate with C-x C-e

But the gurus will certainly have something more elegant.

Ed