Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?

From: Rémi Letot
Subject: Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:35:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: =?utf-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi?= Letot <hobbes@poukram.net>
>> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:34:29 +0200
>>
>> My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
>> directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
>> achieve that automatically ?
>>
>> For the moment I manually switch when needed, but that's cumbersome
>> and prone to errors, so I'd like to automate it : all files under
>> "specific_dir" are to be treated in Latin1. Filenames and content.
>
> I'd try customizing file-coding-system-alist.  If that somehow doesn't
> work, please describe more details on emacs-devel@gnu.org, perhaps
> there's some bug or missing feature.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Question : Does it deal only with content of files or also file names?

> Out of curiosity: how come this specific tree is in a different
> encoding?  Is it a volume mounted from another machine, or some
> removable media?

Oh no, simpler than that : that directory and everything in it is a
"mirror" of memos on my palm device, but the palm doesn't deal well
with UTF names and content, so I have to keep it Latin9 when I work in
it.

Thanks,
--
Rémi