Re: bdf fonts in EmacsW32 ?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: bdf fonts in EmacsW32 ?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:54:38 +0200

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:44, Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote:

> But then I had second
> thoughts and will probably instead create a w32 freetype backend,
> which will provide support for many more font formats, but will
> require the freetype library to be installed.

That is nice to hear.

A few weeks ago I took a look at ftfont.c, with the idea of trying to
implement a freetype backend for w32 (I know very little about the
font handling in Emacs, but it would've been a great learning
experience). Unfortunately, I didn't go too far because, if I
understand it right, the new font code mixes three issues: font name
handling (I mean, XLFD vs. freetype names), glyph handling (uniscribe,
gdi, freetype) and font selection (fontconfig, native Windows API,
etc.). Excising fontconfig code from ftfont.c seems like a task for
someone who knows what he's doing :( :)

I think it'd be useful to have clear, different APIs for the three
aspects mentioned above. Or, if they exist, I missed them and would've
delighted to get a pointer...

   Juanma