Re: emacsclient uses obsolete "server" file on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclient uses obsolete "server" file on Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:33:11 +0200

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:15, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are all writing process on the same machine

Not necesarily.

> so that a simple semaphore can be used?

A "simple semaphore" cannot be used from elisp.

Locking the file (with lock-buffer, though that does not work on
Windows) would be possible. IIRC, Stefan (who wrote that comment)
didn't want the second Emacs instance to get an error while trying to
write the file.

But, truth be told, I don't remember the issues well and I could be
misrepresenting his intention. I suggest you take a look at the
emacs-devel archives, a few months before 22.1 was released.

   Juanma