Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:56:52 -0600

reader@newsguy.com writes:

    Yes, thats the one.  Can that be generated somehow or do
    we have to type it out while referencing those elements
    on the top of an info page?

Maybe something like this would work (below).  It's quick
and dirty but seems to work.  Maybe there's already the same
functionality somewhere.  It seems like an obvious feature
and I see people posting links of this form all the time.

(defun Info-make-evalable-link ()
  "Make a link to the current Info node and add it to the kill ring.
Point must be in the Info buffer.  Produces a string of the form:
\(info \"\(file\)node\"\) that can be yanked info a buffer and
evaluated."
  (interactive)
  (kill-new
   (let ((file (if (stringp Info-current-file)
                   (file-name-nondirectory Info-current-file)
                 " "))
         (node (if (stringp Info-current-node)
                   Info-current-node
                 " ")))
     (concat "(info \"(" file "\)" node "\")"))))