Re: What about Java on Emacs in commercial project?

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: What about Java on Emacs in commercial project?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:33:45 -0400

My personal opinion is that Eclipse, Visual C++, and other IDEs, are better at project management and debugging, but emacs is a better source code editor.

Generally, I use the IDE to set up the project, insert boilerplate, compile, and debug. I use emacs for writing the code.

Both emacs and most IDEs can automatically detect that a file has changed on disk and reload it, so I don't have to worry about keeping them synchronized.

Haolin wrote:
Hi, all I know emacs is a very very good editor, I use it for more
than 1 year. From now on, I need to migrate from C to Java, for
JavaEE development. My friends tell me to use eclipse, but I think
maybe emacs can do everything I want. So I want to know: Should Emacs
be used for production environment? in real commercial project with
Ejb, Web Service and Jsps? I know I can use Ant or Maven instead of
eclipse wtp, but should Emacs supply Grammar Tips and other important
features? for example, I add a jar package to my classpath of
project, should the classes and methods be read from emacs? I tried
JDEE, but it looks like a toy and not , maybe it's a good tool, but
not fit for conmmercial project.