Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)

From: imputerate
Subject: Re: Xterm and Readline (was: select large text with mouse)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:49:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 14, 1:24 pm, pturing <ptur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
> > export INPUTRC=/home/hodgson/.inputrc
> > --------------------------------------
>
> A couple things to note here:
>
> * Each of these export INPUTRC=foo lines is setting the INPUTRC
> variable, so the second one overwrites the value set by the first one.
> * You should not need either of these lines, since programs using
> readline will know to read in from the .inputrc file in your home
> directory by default
> * I think if you do have an .inputrc in your home directory, any
> entries in /etc/inputrc will not get read

from pturing's next post:

Your .profile already has a line that loads .bashrc. A period at the
beginning of a line is the same as source. So you have your .profile
calling .bashrc and your .bashrc calling .profile, which means its in
an infinite loop, so that's why you got a blank screen.

imputerate replies:

i can't find a line in .bashrc which calls .profile, but anyway...

taking in all four of pturing's points together:
 i got rid of .profile, and /etc/inputrc;
 then i commented out both 'export INPUTRC' lines in .bashrc;
 when loaded Xterm/bash: the Readline customizations weren't active;

realizing that the line 'export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc' WAS active in
the
.bashrc on the slackware box [where Readline IS active], i restored
that
line to my .bashrc on the ubuntu box: the customized keystrokes
delivered characters with
diacritical marks, like e with ` or ' on top [these are part of the
font
i 've set in .Xresources: "Emacs*font:
-*-lucida-medium-*-*-*-*-240-*-*-*-*-iso10646-* "
 [a problem, anyway, because the spacing is proportional]

so, i commented out that line, and uncommented the export INPUTRC=/
home/hodgson/.inputrc line: this
time there were no weird characters, also no Readline stuff;

so, i restored the file, /etc/inputrc: same thing as before;

so, i restored the file  ~/.profile [with no 'export INPUTRC' lines]:
same;

it looks like i have to tell somebody, somewhere to source some form
of
Readline configuration; i'll keep trying; any ideas? imputerate