Re: TeX vs LaTeX

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: TeX vs LaTeX
Date: 17 Jun 2008 11:41:49 GMT

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Weird. Searching on Google for `textem latex' results in
> 4,930 results, whose two of them are the following:

but sometimes things change in latex.

>     ,----[ Introduction to LaTeX ]
>     | LaTeX provides lots of typestyles. Below is a list of some of
>     | the styles. To get italics, you can type \textit{italics}:
>     |     * \textrm - Roman
>     |     * \textit - Italics
>     |     * \textem - Emphasis (toggles between \it and \rm)
>     |     * \textbf - Boldface
>     |     * \textsl - Slanted
>     |     * \textsf - Sans serif
>     |     * \textsc - Small caps
>     |     * \texttt - Typewriter
>     `----

that document is twelve years old.

> or
>
>     ,----[ a short introduction ]
>     | Marking up text
>     | Emphasis: {\em ...} or \textem{...}
>     `----

that one's 14 years old.

\textem may have existed at one point, but it doesn't exist anymore. (at
least, *my* latex install doesn't know about it. it throws up an error when
i use it.) use \emph instead, which is what you'll find in any recent
latex-intro.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)