gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)

From: Markus Grunwald
Subject: gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)
Date: 27 Jun 2008 08:52:24 GMT

Hello,

I'm not lucky with my switch from emacs21 to GNU Emacs 22.2.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20): first emacs still hangs on
(next-buffer) (see earlier posting...), now gud is not working.

What I did:

>M-x gdb
>gdb --annotate=3 binary.bin

gdb loads the binary, I get the gdb prompt. Then:

Current directory is somewhere.
GNU gdb 6.6
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. [...]
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"... Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run
  C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c

  C-c C-c
  C-c C-c  C-c C-c

After entering "run", I get no output from my program, it is not in "ps",
but the cpu is working 50% for about 20 seconds. I try to interrupt (C-c
C-c or via gud menu) but I only get the output in the buffer as seen
above. Gud won't react on anything I do, I can just close the buffer and
try it again.

Looking into the messages buffer, I see this:

error in process filter: gdb-pre-prompt: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
(got pre-emacs) error in process filter: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
(got pre-emacs)

It seems to work when I start gdb without binary and load it from gdb with
(gdb) file binary.bin
(gdb) run

Pure gdb works like a charm, of course.

This is not an environment I can work with. But I like some emacs22 very
much (e.g. the watch list in the speedbar or the red dots for breakpoints),
so I really hope you can help me with this...

Many TIA,

Markus