Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:28:46 -0700

Peter Jones <mlists@pmade.com> writes:

> I'm sure that there are plenty of people on this list that would love
> to recommend their Emacs-based MUA to me, so please go for it.

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the long delay, but I've been buried with the Kepler project
(kepler.nasa.gov).

Of course I have to recommend MH-E!

>From http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/:

    MH-E is the Emacs interface to the MH mail system. It offers all
    the functionality of MH, the visual orientation and simplicity of
    use of a GUI, and full integration with Emacs and XEmacs,
    including thorough configuration and online help.

    MH-E allows one to read and process mail very quickly: many
    commands are single characters; completion and smart defaults are
    used for folder names and aliases. With MH-E you compose outgoing
    messages in Emacs. This is a big plus for Emacs users, but even
    non-Emacs users have been known to use MH-E after only learning
    the most basic cursor motion commands.

    Additional features include:

        * attractive text rendering with font lock
        * composition and display of (MIME) attachments such as photos
        * display of images and HTML within the Emacs frame
        * folder browsing with speedbar
        * threading
        * ticking messages
        * lightning-fast full-text indexed searches of all of your email
        * virtual folders to view ticked and unseen messages, search results
        * multiple personalities
        * signing and encrypting
        * spam filter interaction
        * XFace, Face, X-Image-URL header field support with picons

    MH is Rand's Mail Handler, whose functionality is available in MH,
    nmh and GNU mailutils.

There's a brief introduction and tutorial in the manual at:

  http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/manual/

Here's the page of mailing lists, where you can read about the
experiences of recent converts :-):

  https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=13357