Re: How to apply a list of regex replaces to multiple files?

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: Re: How to apply a list of regex replaces to multiple files?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:33:41 +0300

"michael.l" <michael.lommel@gmail.com> writes:
> I've browsed the messages here and have googled but don't see a clear
> solution yet. I have about 900 documents to which I need to apply a
> list of maybe 40 separate regex search and replaces. I would like to
> feed a list of the regex expressions and replacements to emacs and
> have it applied to a directory of the files. Any solutions? Keyboard
> macros don't seem like the right solution....

Emacs is an interactive editor, most of the time in order
to achieve some modification of a file, you need to interact
with it.

Have you considered simply using `find' and `sed' (or even
'perl') from the command line instead of an interactive
editor. They sound more like the right tool for the job.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration