Re: emacs hyper key

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs hyper key
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 21:43:09 +0200

Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> writes:

> First of all, what actually IS the emacs hyper key? the emacs meta key
> seems to just be mod1, but I can't seem to figure out what emacs will
> interpret as the hyper key. right now, my left-windoze button is
> assigned to be Super_L. I tried mapping Super_L to mod1 (whereupon
> emacs interpreted it as meta, and I could use it just like meta). Then
> I mapped Super_L to mod2, mod3, mod4, and mod5 (making sure that I
> removed the previous binding each time); emacs acted like it did not
> even know that button existed (ie after executing C-h k  , pressing
> 'a' returned binding for 'a'  and pressing L-Windoze button and 'a'
> also returned the binding for 'a' (self-insert)).
>
> Looking back over some old .emacs file I have, I used define-key but
> the KEY arguments were things like [166...], but I do not even
> recognize that notation anymore and I don't think that notation works
> across different computers.
>
> so...
>
> what does emacs interpret as hyper?
> what is that other notation I used in define-key?
>

> I have a more recent version of Debian.

M-x apropos RET hyper RET

This is specified by: x-hyper-keysym
Usually, it's Hyper_L and Hyper_R.

You can choose what key generate these keysyms with xmodmap(1).

THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
explosion will result.