Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:57:14 +1200

2008/7/5 Bernardo Bacic <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com>:
> a few things may be worth checking:
> * what is the value of auto-mode-alist when you hit C-h v auto-mode-alist
> * does the *Messages* buffer (C-h e) show any errors when you open an
>  archive file
> * are you really opening TAR/GZ files as opposed to tar/gz?

Here is the error when I tried to load a tar file:

File mode specification error: (error "Buffer format not recognized")

Here is the error when I tried to load a gz file:

uncompressing allegro-1-connect-four-20070702-165627.tar.gz...done
File mode specification error: (error "Buffer format not recognized")

Note that I really mean tar file not TAR file
                                                                and gz
file not GZ file.

Thanks for your help.

--