Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:24:38 +0200

Am 08.07.2008 um 12:52 schrieb Bernardo Bacic:

From memory, the OP was referring to version 21.*, not sure what the situation is there. Perhaps adding tar and gz extensions to auto-mode-alist was unnecessary?

I have also a version of GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (more like 22.x), and 20.7. In elder Emacsen, I think up to and including 20.x, it was necessary to

        (load-library "jka-compr")

Then jka-compr added well-known extensions and also an entry on jka- compr-mode (or such) to handle particular file types. And maybe telling it about modern compressors/file name endings like tgz, tbz, tbz2, tar.bz2 was needed. Tar-mode itself works since at least 18.x.

Therefore my old question what was happening when GNU Emacs was launched without any customisation ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)