Re: Howto preserve <tab> key?

From: howcom
Subject: Re: Howto preserve <tab> key?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:05:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 10, 2:50 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> > I've recently upgrated to GNU emacs 22.1.1. It seems that version 22
> > has changed the behavior of the <tab> key; more often than not
> > pressing tab will result in a series of spaces being added rather than
> > a real tab character.
>
> That's been the default in pretty much all modes (things like
> makefile-mode obviously excepted) since as long as I remember using
> Emacs, and that's since version 18.something.

Yes, it has also happened in the past when. However, it happens much
more frequently in emacs 22. I think I may have found a solution:

  (setq indent-line-function 'indent-to-left-margin)

It seems as if the default value for indent-line-function was changed
from
'indent-to-left-margin to 'indent-relative at some point; changing it
back
gets me the behavior I'm used to.

Thanks for your answer, though!