Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:22:56 +1000

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> The most likely reason textmate has what you want and emacs apparently
>> doesn't is that nobody in the emacs community has stepped up to write
>> what you want. Maybe the textmate community has more people willing to
>> step up and add what they see as missing while the emacs community has
>> members who would rather sit around philosophising.
>
> Sadly thats so true.
>
> Even so, knowing that *it is* possible gives me hope, I would try and
> create such a mode in my free time but I am not sure how much work is
> needed for that as I am a n00b elisper.
>
> Maybe folks here could help me getting started. Are there any tutorials
> on the subject ?

There are some pages on the emacs wiki site which describe the process
for creating a new mode. However, I would look closely at things like
nxhtml-mode and assist in developing that mode by adding the
functionality you want and helping to debug and fix any problems it has.

Emacs lisp is quite powerful and there is nothing about it that I can
see that wold prevent anyone from implementing whatever functionality is
required. Probably the largest hurdle is just getting to know all the
facilities that are available and working out how to best use what is
there rather than re-inventing existing facilities. Essentially, most of
the building blocks are there, but assembling them takes a bit of
research and experimentation.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au