Re: How to type when using Emacs?

From: David
Subject: Re: How to type when using Emacs?
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:00:36 +0200

don provan <dprovan@comcast.net> writes:
> I've found that most modern keyboards are, in fact, OK as is, and I
> suppose in that sense this is a "myth" because people think it applies
> to standard Windows keyboards.

I second that it very much depends on the keyboard, but it is also very
different what people consider to be "painful". For example, I find
movements where the thumb has to slip under the palm painful (often
needed when pressing Alt/Meta), while others are perfectly happy with
this.

I'd also like to point to this one from the Ratpoison wiki:

http://ratpoison.antidesktop.net/wiki/Tweaks

It says to use the number keys as modifiers. I tried that, and it's
actually not too bad. The problem is - where to put the numbers? I put
them on w,e,r,s,d,f,etc., i.e. like a keypad, which is activated using
Mode_switch. It really takes time to get used to, though. I don't know
if I'll stick with it.

-David