Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:37:05 +0200

Am 12.07.2008 um 10:18 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

  How can I get the latest version of emacs (from CVS) to have use
  cocoa.

By waiting. If you can't, here you can download some 100 MB of code (announcement of Adrian Robert, the developer of Emacs.app, from the middle of May 2008):

Thanks to efforts by Stephan Monnier and others, Emacs.app is now in
the GNU emacs bazaar (bzr) repository.

You can check it out by:

  bzr get http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/emacs.app

If you have write access to the GNU Emacs project already, then you
can get it by putting sftp instead of http.

You can merge in from the trunk to your local copy with this command:

  bzr merge http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk

Some points to note:

1) I have not yet been able to check this out myself.  Apparently it
is slow (see http://blog.orebokech.com/2008/03/emacs-in-bzr-initial- impressions.html
though this also relates to the notengo server -- arch.sv.gnu.org
appears even slower right now!).  I was told you could download a
tarball from there and then do an update similar to above commands as
a quicker way to get the branch.  There is also a '--lightweight'
option to the get/checkout command, and I am trying this now.

2) I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting today.  Once I'm back
I'll merge to trunk periodically and check in the results, so merging
yourself shouldn't be necessary.

3) The Emacs.app code that is checked in is significantly modified
from the last release.  It has been updated to latest trunk, some bugs
reported here have been fixed (or at least attempted), mixed GUI and
TTY sessions now work, etc..  Please verify a bug exists on this
version before reporting.  One known issue: random frame switching
sometimes when moving cursor.  See -keydown: and -sendEvent: for code
that affects this, and line 11,366 in xdisp.c (PENDING comment in
redisplay_internal()).

4) Feel free to submit improvement patches here if you don't have
write access to the repository.  Even if you do, I'd prefer to review
things before check-in so as to expedite the process of merging to
trunk.  Note that bzr is a distributed VCS.  It should be possible to
maintain your patches locally, allow others to access them, and easily
merge them in when the time comes.  Hopefully this will be good.

best regards,
Adrian

--
Greetings

  Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.