Re: How to type when using Emacs?

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: How to type when using Emacs?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:01:14 -0400

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 10, 12:45 pm, adams...@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
>> I do recommend making the key to the left of "A" a control key; it has
>> saved me a lot of motion and increased my speed while using Emacs.
>> However, it's hard to remember that for my wife's desktop, it's still
>> Caps Lock, and sometimes I end up repeating my typing.
>
> Turning the Cap Lock key into the Control key is one of the bad advice
> in keyboarding. It's one of the myth that perpetuate bad practice.
>
> • It is one of the difficult key to press on the keyboard, pressed by
> the pinky.

Utter nonsense: it is as easy to press as any other key on the
keyboard.  This will obviously depend on your model of keyboard.

> • It puts all stress on the left pinky.

I don't feel any more stress than when I press any key.

I use a Logitech EX 110 wireless keyboard, a keyboard designed for
Windows.  With my .Xmodmap, everything is very comfortable.

> • It forces the left hand to cram into spider legs positions, and or
> the rigth hand flies about wildly.

More nonsense:  This is all dependent on a typist's technique, not an
externally imposed force of nature.

> • It renders many Control-‹key› spots void, since now with only one
> pinky many otherwise good Ctrl-‹key› spots are hard to use.

Evan more nonsense: I have two control keys; nothing in my .Xmodmap
configuration removes the right control key.

> • The left hand now constantly shift from home position.

No more than my right hand does when I depress the apostrophe key
(directly to the right of ";"

> Here's good tips:
>
> • buy a keyboard with Control on both sides of keyboard.

Not hard.

> • Press modifier keys using both hands, like how Shift key is pressed
> in touch typing rules.

Duh.  If you're following touch-typing, then you are doing this by definition.

> • On most fullsized PC keyboard, it's very easy to use palm or semi-
> fist to press Control key. Do this and save Pinky.

That sounds to me like it would move the hand out of home position ...

Do you hold your wrists up when you type?  If you do then none of this
advice is necessary.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson