Re: cursor/tab/highlighting problems in gnome-terminal

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: cursor/tab/highlighting problems in gnome-terminal
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:14:15 -0400

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>> Also, xterm is a highly under-rated terminal emulator, and is very
>> configurable (give the man page a look).
>>
>> Perhaps your problem is in how you choose to set things up, rather than
>> a real Emacs problem?
>
> gnome-terminal is a very capable terminal emulator though, and runs
> emacs fine as far as I can tell.

I agree, however I've found that for a lot of things where I went
"against the grain" I later found a much easier way to do things.
Editing remote files, for example, is much easier using tramp than
relying on the remote system's version of Emacs (my university has not
updated Emacs since 2000).

I also thought Xterm was crap until I gave it a real shot, and now I use
it all the time.

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson