Re: How to whip Emacs into weird indentation rules with tabs+spaces?

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: How to whip Emacs into weird indentation rules with tabs+spaces?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 03:56:06 +0200

On Friday 18 July 2008, Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:35:57AM +0200, Juanma wrote:
> >
> >> |---| = tab     . = space
> >
> >> |---|while ( something &&
> >> |---|........some_else )
> >> |---|---|then_do_something();
> >
> >> The idea is that tab goes one level further, but for same-level adjustments
> >> only spaces should be used.
> >
> >> How to force Emacs into that insanity? (no, it's not my personal
> >> choice)
>
> The way I see it, that would be the only /sane/ way to use tabs at all. :)
> Because no matter what tab-width is set to, the code will always look
> right...

Well, actually I agree with you. I'd prefer no tabs, but if there are tabs,
this way is the only good one I can think of. But I thought it would be an
eLisp insanity.

> Unfortunately there's probably not a single editor out there that
> supports the scheme, so it's even less portable.

That supports it *automatically*. My colleagues, to whom I owe this
pleasure, use editors that insert actual tab characters when they press TAB
key. Go figure  :-)

Many thanks to everybody for help. I'll try it and tell you how good it is.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr