Re: how to run javascript in emacs?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: how to run javascript in emacs?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:46:15 +0200

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:04:55 +0200 Arnaud Diederen wrote:

> I'm doing a rather important part of my work in JavaScript, and
> the problem with SpiderMonkey is that, although it proposes the (solid)
> implementation of ECMAScript ed. 3 that is embedded in
> Mozilla and FireFox, it will _not_ make the host objects (window,
> document, ...) available.

I worked a bit on a little webkit based toy browser.  The (far away)
goal is having something similar to Conkeror w/o the huge memory and CPU
requirements.

It's in no way usable as a browser but you can have a REPL (in theory
even w/o a top level window, but the GTK port of webkit seems to assume
it is always realized).  E.g.

w = new Webview("http://www.gnu.org/";);
repl(w.mainFrame.context);

lets you do whatever you want within the DOMWindow.  If there is
interest I can push it on savannah or somewhere else.  But note that it
is not even α.

David