Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:00:45 -0400

"Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/20/08, Dan Espen <daneNO@more.mk.spamtelcordia.com> wrote:
>> "Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks.  A couple of questions:
>>>
>>> 1)  If I use the example .Xdefaults like you listed above, are the
>>> pipe symbols (|} included at the beginning of several lines to be
>>> included as well?
>>
>> Those are exclamation marks.
>> They indicate commented out lines.
>>
>> When setting X resources, another useful command
>> is appres.
>>

>> The command:
>>
>> appres Emacs
>>
>> will show all the current X resources that match "Emacs".
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> I don't have Emacs-gtk installed.
>> Normally gtk programs don't pay any attention to X Resources.
>> I think you might have more success using the menu bar dialogs.
>>

> Well, using 'Options -> Set Default Font' in emacs and choosing DejaVu
> or Bitstream results in poor-looking fonts in the editor interface,

You need to define what you mean by poor, maybe post a screenshot
somewhere and provide a link.

> while choosing Monospace gives much better looking fonts.  I'm curious
> if emacs can't find the Bitstream or DejaVu fonts and is falling back
> to the 'uglier' font somehow.  How could I tell?

I'm not a fan of proportional fonts in the body of the editor.
What all these fancy fonts buy you is anti aliasing which can make fonts
look crisper.

To see if anti aliasing is active use xmag or any of the other magnifier
applications.  The fonts will have gray or colored edges.

To identify the actual font is harder, maybe try using the same font
in some other application and compare with a magnifier.