Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:40:01 +1000

"Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/19/08, Wolfgang Zweimueller <wzwei@gmx.at> wrote:
>> "Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 as the
>>> font.  When I try to invoke emacs like this:
>>>
>>> emacs --font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8"
>>>
>>> I get the error:
>>>
>>> Font `Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8' is not defined
>>
>> I had the same problem (with another font). My solution was to put
>> this line into ~/.Xresources:
>>
>>      Emacs.font: dejavu sans mono
>>
>> Then do a "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources" or restart your X11. Now Emacs
>> should start with that font.
>>
>> hth,
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Thanks for the reply...unfortunately that did not work for me.  Not
> sure if the problem is specific to my OS (openSUSE 11.0 in this case)
> as to where it is looking for those settings.  The font in the menu
> bar looks great, but the font in the editor screen does not respect
> what is put in ~/.Xresources.

If your running a GTK based version of emacs 23, its actually the other
way round. The fonts in the GTK widgets don't respect/honor
.Xresources/Xdefaults settings. Only the font in the editing 'window'
does. See the emacs manual in the section on Xresources.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au