Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:23:24 +0200

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 21, 11:59 am, Ben Aurel <ben.au...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi
>> This is my first post here, so I hope this is the right place for asking
>> beginner questions.
>>
>> My question is simple: When I list some files in dired mode I select one
>> file to edit. Now how can I close this file and go back to dired without
>> closing emacs?
>
> To close the file, use the menu “File‣Close”. Emacs doesn't have a
> keyboard shortcut for this due the fact that emacs has build on the
> 1980's mindset and havn't modernized.

Or because the concept of "File" is not as central as the concept of
"buffer".   It is not a question of being modern or not.  In the 1980's
the notion of "file" already existed, and today, projects like OLPC are
putting it aside.

> (global-set-key (kbd "C-w") 'kill-this-buffer) ; close

Please don't suggest this.

`C-w' is for `kill-region' which is fundamental - see the manual

  (info "(emacs)Killing")

When you're answering questions about Emacs, better to refer to the
manual as much as possible.  At least more than your own tutorials,
which can give a biaised view about Emacs.

> The “buffer” is term used in the 1980s. Today you
> just call it “Tabs” or “workspace”.

Huh?

The notion of "buffer" might be emacs specific, but it's not 1980's.
The OP is asking about Emacs, not your own science fiction.

--
Bastien