Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:34:18 +0900

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
>> And why should "shortcut" be more fitting than "keybinding"?
>
> I don't know. I'm not even defending the idea that "shortcut" is more
> fitting. If anything, I'm defending the idea that "keybinding" is not
> very good, not because of any intrinsic quality or defect of the term
> "keybinding"

It's not that "keybinding" is somehow extra good, it's that "shortcut"
is unusually bad.

The name "shortcut" in most apps carries the implication that it's
somehow an unusual method of invoking something, which is only used in
rare circumstances for the absolute most heavily used commands (in these
apps, the "usual" method is a menu entry).  This is not true in emacs --
keybindings are heavily used, and are "normal".

-Miles

--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.