Re: Control-D in grep output

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Control-D in grep output
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:20:53 -0600

Perry Smith wrote:
I am running emacs 22.1.1 on AIX 5.3. When I do "grep" from inside emacs the very first line has an extra ^D (control-D, one character).

I've moved my .kshrc, .profile, .bashrc, and .bash_profile files off to the side thinking that they somehow were introducing the problem but that does not make a difference.

I set debug-on-entry on compilation-start. When I step through it via the debugger, if I step through it slowly, I do not have the issue. If I just step a few steps in and then hit continue, I have the problem.

Anyone have some suggestions of what this could be or how to debug it?

1. Check whether you see the same thing when you run grep from a shell
started with M-x shell.

2. When you debug compilation-start, does the problem occur before or
after compilation-mode has run?

3. Try debugging compilation-filter.

--
Kevin Rodgers