Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: xraysmalevich
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 22, 10:03 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> > Of course the term shortcuts is something reminiscent of GUI programs.
> > In a text editor menu entries like `compile' might have a shortcut, but
> > calling C-b a shortcut seems weird.
>
> Maybe, but having manual entries in the index for "Shortcut" and "Key
> Sequence" would perhaps help a little bit.
>
> > I don't think there even has to be a name for it ...  Help says: "It is
> > bound to C-b, <left>.", which sounds reasonable.  So what problems could
> > a new user have?
>
> My imagination and experience says me that they could have trouble
> searching for things because of the terminology ;-)
>
> > Maybe custom should support keymaps, and M-x customize-keys could solve
> > that problem...
>
> That would be great yes.

"keybinding" is a little weird and kinky, but "shortcut" is a blatant
lie in Emacs -- once I've managed to hit "Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Win*-x RET
butterfly", any pretense of saving time has gone out the window.

I use Emacs because I like how it feels; I use keybindings because
they remind me I'm alive...

*oh g-d, know you all know my dirty little platform secret :-(

But, seriously folks. Keybinding and shortcut keys -- roughly the
same. Now, shake hands.

--the Other michael