Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:03:06 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 18:58, Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> In the same way that the manual page (info "(Emacs)Buffers") is relevant
> to the users.

Well, yes, but that's a bit of circular reasoning. Of course the
current terminology is relevant, because it *is* the current
terminology, after all. That does not mean that the user cares about
the precise term, as long as s/he understands it.

> How many users are complaining about the fact that it's not easy to open
> and close a file with Emacs?  As long as this is not a *major* problem,
> let's not consider whether it's good or not to change Emacs terminology.
>
> No?

I don't see the relevance of that question (my fault, I'm sure). I was
under the impression that the relevant question would be: "how much
difficult is for beginners to learn Emacs when they read about buffers
and frames and keybindings, instead of X and Y and Z?" [where X, Y and
Z are suitable terms commonly used in other environments]

   Juanma