Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:34:07 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> A note: For some people there is possibly a benefit with that Emacs is
> hard to learn. They may perhaps feel that they can master
> something. There is both good and bad things in that.

Yes, and there is also the common balance between pleasure and effort,
with great effort often being rewarded by great pleasure, but sometimes
generating fanatism ("Hey! I spent my life suffering for this, so others
must believe in it!")

Consider this (RMS-ish) motto:

  "With great freedom comes great responsability, the responsability to
  defend and promote freedom."

Emacs does a good job in defending itself as a classical, and the Emacs
community does the same.  Because the motto above can be translated in:

  "With effort comes pleasure, the pleasure to promote and defend
  effort."

And because Emacs is so lispy:

  "With Emacs comes Emacs, the pleasure to promote and defend Emacs."

This is the Emacs Tao.  Whoever wants to walk away from the Emacs tao is
still in the Emacs tao.

:)

--
Bastien