Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:38:12 +0200

On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> I do use CUA mode, though not for C-x etc. Selection with shift-keys
> and visible region are very big pluses against the Emacs defaults,
> IMHO.

Visible region is a really big plus, but I guess you mean
transient-mark-mode and I believe that's not part of CUA.

On the other hand, selection with shift+arrows seems to me like the crappy
stuff I used to do before entering the glory of Emacs. I would go to admit
it's a small plus to be able to *also* do it like that, but I think setting
the mark, as an anchor, and extend as you move with any other movement
command (and that includes, e.g., i-search), is vastly superior.

> > That is what makes Emacs, not an old piece, but a classic. Hence, it
> > doesn't need to be modernized. It's good.
>
> Thanks God (or the FSM) that's not true, or there would be no new features...

Well, if new features means modernization, then you are right. It might be a
pretty bad choice of words, or binding of concepts, on my side.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr