Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:30:55 +1000

Juanma <juanma_bellon@yahoo.es> writes:

> On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
>> I do use CUA mode, though not for C-x etc. Selection with shift-keys
>> and visible region are very big pluses against the Emacs defaults,
>> IMHO.
>
> Visible region is a really big plus, but I guess you mean
> transient-mark-mode and I believe that's not part of CUA.
>
> On the other hand, selection with shift+arrows seems to me like the crappy
> stuff I used to do before entering the glory of Emacs. I would go to admit
> it's a small plus to be able to *also* do it like that, but I think setting
> the mark, as an anchor, and extend as you move with any other movement
> command (and that includes, e.g., i-search), is vastly superior.

I have to agree here. I rarely use the mouse (in fact, my mouse is the
oldest bit of equipment connected to my system - it has no scroll whell
and I purchased it in about 1995!

for me, setting the mark and then using the other features, like
i-search or just next line to move to the end of whatever it is I want
to select is faster and easier than either the mouse or holding down
shift and moving my hands off the main keys to the arrow keys.

This raises the other point I haven't touched on (and won't now - not in
any depth). I'll only say that many of the so-called modernisation
features Xah and ohters have mentioned are often poor replacements for a
far superior mode that pre-dates the more popular method - its like VHS
versus Beta - just because its more popular and possibly better known,
it doesn't mean that its actually a better solution.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au