Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:30:15 +0200

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 14:30, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> I have to agree here. I rarely use the mouse

I'm not sure how one thing is related to the other. I use the keyboard
much more than the mouse, and always for selection. Still I prefer the
shift keys and a visible region to other ways to do it.

> I'll only say that many of the so-called modernisation
> features Xah and ohters have mentioned are often poor replacements for a
> far superior mode that pre-dates the more popular method

Yes. Often. At other times, it is only the old fashioned way to do it.
If transient-mark-mode is now t by default, for example, it's hard to
believe that the alternative is a "far superior mode". Let's call them
two different, equally valid worldviews.

> - its like VHS
> versus Beta - just because its more popular and possibly better known,
> it doesn't mean that its actually a better solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape_format_war

It's not evident that Beta was superior, and it's not evident either
why one format won over the other(s). There were multiple factors at
play. Still, if Emacs turned to be the Beta of programmer editors,
technical excellence would be small consolation.

  Juanma