Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:42:16 +0200

On Friday 25 July 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> The difficulties are in the details. You kind of use your body memory
> when doing such things. On Windows the menus does not work from the
> keyboard as in other programs by default and that defeats the body memory.

Menus? What menus?

If you hate C-x C-f you can rebind it (C-o in CUA, right?), you can use the
"disk key" as provided by disk.el, you have dired, or you get Windows
Explorer calling ... what was that? gnuclientw.exe? I think that's what I
used. I just browsed folders with Windows Explorer and pressed Enter on a
file, or 2*clicked it, or drag'n'dropped it into Emacs.

In Emacs, and this is just an opinion, activating menus from keyboard is a
corner-case, not a normal (as in "frequently performed") procedure. But, if
that's your procedure, fine. But then, I don't think it's Emacs making it
difficult ...
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr