Re: A problem with read-only in emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: A problem with read-only in emacs
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:52:04 +0200

Am 27.07.2008 um 05:45 schrieb D. Power:

It seems that I
(or the keyboard-walking kitten) have somehow changed the settings in
emacs (21.2.1) so that new files are created as read-only, so I have to
chmod any new file before I can edit it.

I don't think that GNU Emacs has this ability – which other tool that also can edit files would create read-only files (it won't be able to edit and save these edits)? It's likely your run-time environment that was changed to create read-only files (and directories). In UNIX umask is related to this. When invoked in a shell it well tell you its setting, when used with an argument, it will change the recent value to the given one. 'umask 022' is a good choice, that can also be put into the shell's RC file. For GNU Emacs you should choose 002 because some (defective?) code high-lights in dired-mode permissions of group-writable files by default.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.