Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:39:29 -0500

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:55:48 -0700 (PDT) Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

X> On Jul 25, 9:41 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:55:29 -0700 (PDT)Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
X> But you can run it by typing Alt+x shell-command (shortcut Alt+x !)
>>
>> Please note that Alt is not the preferred prefix name for Emacs
>> purposes.  It's Meta, abbreviated M (e.g. M-x), for two reasons:
>>
>> 1) Meta can be mapped to keys other than Alt
>>
>> 2) Meta can be invoked with ESC as well, which is very handy in a
>> terminal session (I actually use ESC all the time even in a graphical
>> session)

X> Here're some reason i think emacs should adopt the Alt+‹key› or
X> Alt-‹key› notation throughout its documentation.

X> Linux.

X> It was one of the modifier key on obsolete keyboards used by lisp
X> machines in the 1980s.

Meta is not the name of the key, it's the modifier name in today's
Emacs.  As I said, the modifier can be bound to any key (sorry I didn't
state the terminology clearly originally).  Many think this is a plus.

I doubt your suggestion will find much support because it would break a
convention that goes back (AFAIK) far further than Windows or Linux.
You have to consider the *cost* of breaking something like the Meta
convention, not just the benefit.  But feel free to suggest it through
the proper channels as others have mentioned.

Ted