Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 29, 8:16 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can still say make the changes in say 1 day. Then, i have to
> > subscribe to the mailing list, write explanation all over again on why
> > i did this.
>
> As opposed to ... writing explanations all over again on why someone
> else should do this? :)
>
> > one of the developer saw that the shortcut notation change is a good
> > idea, he can then spend 4 hours and commit.
>
> Then why haven't you asked the developers, yet?

That takes time and energy.

You sound like it is my duty or something i should've done.

Strongly believing that “Alt+‹key›” notation is better for emacs does
not mean i must ask GNU Emacs developers. Asking someone to do
something for me is a step of social or interpersonal relation. Asking
is not “free”. For example, if you stand on the street and ask people
to give you money. That has ramifications on your reputation or who
you are. Also, if you get denied repeatedly, it might hurt your
feelings.

> > or other reasons this change is just bad?
>
> Sure.  The current scheme works "well enough" and developer's have other
> things to spend four hours on.

That's a good point.

I do think that this shortcut notation change is trivial enough, yet
benefit is huge enough, that it should be done as priority.

We discussed about the time required for this. I think it's 4 hours or
so. As for the benefit, i think it's huge, because it fixed one of the
usability problems of emacs.

> If the patch already existed and the side-effects were thoroughly
> tested, I might support it (depending on the side-effects).

Be positive Nik.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/