Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:06:15 +0300

> From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
> because 95% of Windows+Linux market share, as well as their use of PC
> keyboards, which has maybe 99.99% market share.

Please tell where did you get these numbers.  Are they based on some
survey, or are they just your idea of what they should be?

> > Not all keyboards in the world are PC keyboards.
>
> The argument is not about whether all keyboards in the world are PC
> keyboards.
>
> The point here is that the notation “Alt+‹key›” used a label that
> appears on PC keyboards, the Alt. And PC keyboard has some 99% of
> market share.

Emacs works on more keyboard types than just PC keyboards.  And
someone already told you that even on PC keyboards people sometimes
remap their Alt key.  As for the 99% figure, see above.

> I wrote:
> • Identical To Key's Label
>
> You retort:
> Only on some keyboards.
>
> That's not reasonable.

Why, what goes against your opinions is necessarily unreasonable?

> > > Are you saying, that the Sun Microsystem's keyboard precedes Lisp
> > > Machine's keyboard?
> >
> > No, I'm saying that Meta doesn't come from Lisp machines.
>
> Where it came from? And how's the history of Meta is related in this
> argument specifically?

You tell me: you raised this argument in the first place, see above.

> > > So? what is your point?
> >
> > That Emacs embraces change and progress, contrary to your remarks.
>
> What change and progress? What remark?

How about re-reading your own messages?  There you claimed that Free
Software tends to be slow in embracing progress and change.

> You need to be specific and detailed to argue convincingly.

I have no illusions that I will ever convince you.

> > > Let's not start slurs ok?
> >
> > Look who's talking.  You just accused me of being insane, not reading
> > your messages and what's not.
>
> I didn't call you insane or any insult. The closest i said was “Huh?
> Are you out of your mind Eli?”

Well, ``out of your mind'' is pretty close to ``insane'' in my book.

> That phrase is a way to indiacte my surprise of what you are saying.

Perhaps you should find nicer ways of expressing surprise.  How about
"I'm surprised"?