Re: Learning LISP; Scheme vs elisp.

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Re: Learning LISP; Scheme vs elisp.
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:30:34 +0100

On 2008-08-01, Joel J. Adamson wrote:

>    Adam> I've decided I ought to train myself in the most elegant
>    Adam> programming weapon --- http://xkcd.com/297/ --- so I've
>    Adam> started working through _The Structure and Interpretation of
>    Adam> Computer Programs_.
>
>     Good idea: the best computer science book ever written --- and the only
>     one I've ever used :-P

Good!

>    Adam> In the long term I hope I'll be able to customize Emacs more
>    Adam> in its native way instead of wrapping external Perl programs
>    Adam> in shell-command-on-region (as I often do now).
>
>     Uh, what?  Can you explain this?  Can you explain why on Earth you
>     would do it?

If you mean why do I do such a hideous thing now, it's because I *can*
do string manipulation in Perl, whereas I can't (currently) do it in
LISP (except for fairly trivial cases).

Thanks for the rest of the information, which it will take a little
while for me to digest.  (I suspected my initial understanding of
define's equivalents might be naïve.)