Emacs into focus

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Emacs into focus
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:36:26 +0200

Can someone recommend the best way to have emacs come to the foreground
on a Linux desktop? I'm trying to get emacsclient wired up properly so I
can handle mailto URLS from iceweasel (firefox) properly. I have tried:

,----
| /usr/bin/emacsclient -e "(progn (raise-frame)(message-mail (substring \"$1\"
7) \"Subject\"  '((\"from\"  \"Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com>\"))))"
`----

But raise-frame does not seem to work on my Gnome desktop.

Replacing raise-frame with (bring-on-top)

where

,----
| (defun bring-on-top()
|   (interactive)
|    (x-send-client-message
|     nil 0 nil "_NET_WM_STATE" 32 '(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN" 1))
| )
`----

Does work but removes the WM border from the emacs frame.

Does anyone have a cleaner solution?

regards

r.