compilation/grep buffer advice

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: compilation/grep buffer advice
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 17:25:12 +0300

I like the idea of burying the result of a successful
compilation, but keeping errors visible, and started
using the code snippet that was recently posted here
to achieve that.

However, I got annoyed by it burying grep results too.
This quick hack overcomes that limitation, but I'm not
sure what kind of condition to include to test the buffer
name:

(setq compilation-finish-function
      (lambda (buf str)
        (if (string-match "compilation" (buffer-name buf))
            (if (string-match "exited abnormally" str)
                (message "compilation errors, press C-x ` to visit")
              (run-at-time 1 nil 'delete-windows-on buf)
              (message "NO COMPILATION ERRORS!"))
          (message "didn't look like a compilation"))))

What other kinds of functions apart from grep use compilation
mode? Is it better to have 'compilation' a special case to be
handled by optionally burying, or 'grep' the special case that
does nothing?

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration