Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1

From: Paul Mead
Subject: Re: Error when switching modes on v 22.1.1
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:29:23 +0100

Open in dired the directory with the Emacs sources.
Type M-x compile RET.
Change the default command (probably make -k) to "./configure <your choices>" RET.
 (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the configure step)
Type M-x compile RET again.
Add to the default command a "bootstrap" target and press RET.
 (you might like to save the *compilation* buffer from the compilation step)
Hours later you could again type M-x compile RET, but change the default command to "sudo make install" RET ...

Thanks - after writing my last post I decided that I should find out how to do this, so it's currently exercising my CPU from within emacs. I just ran the default make -k. What does the 'bootstrap' part do? I can't find it in the help for make.