Re: How to type when using Emacs?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: How to type when using Emacs?
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 9, 8:07 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article <8763rcm4np....@sophokles.streitblatt.de>,
> Florian Beck  <abstrakt...@t-online.de> wrote:
>

> >Finally, if you are using X, you should definitely make your keyboard
> >use ALT, SUPER, HYPER and COMPOSE. (Probably not for editing, though, I
> >use ALT for »viewing« (e.g. ALT-u outline-up-heading), SUPER for
> >rearranging (transposing paragraphs) and reserve HYPER for my window
> >manager).
>
> I try to stay away from windows and use primarily
> a sun and solaris.  And emacs, of course.
>
> Now, you talk about ALT, SUPER, HYPER, and COMPOSE.
>
> For emacs, what do you use those keys for?

Those came from lisp machine's keyboard.

For a detail explanation and photos of lisp keyboards, see:

Why Emacs's Keyboard Shortcuts Are Painful
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kb_shortcuts_pain.html

> (What are they "supposed" to be used for -- that is,
> maybe, what acts or intentions gave them those names?)

For a explanation on how these Hyper, Super keys were used, see
Rainer' article at:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/3b3dcdc52f507b02

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/