Re: emacs 23 term behaviour on OS X

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 23 term behaviour on OS X
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:43:54 +0200

Am 10.08.2008 um 22:08 schrieb Chris Patterson:

Unfortunately it does the same thing in zsh, csh, etc and regardless of
starting with -Q. I'm thinking that this is something with the
keybindings in Emacs.app because I have found that on my G4 Powerbook
the Enter key does work though Return does not. I suppose it is possible that the problem is related only to notebook keyboards and that could explain the
difficulty in reproducing.

I think I understand now: you both do not seem to use the big Return key on the far right but the little one close to the space bar. In the X client it acts like C-c (or C-@, ASCII NUL, when holding the FN key), in Emacs.app it's recognised as kp-enter (or C-p when holding the FN key). I've bound it to other-window ...

This could be another bug in Emacs.app – there are other keys it does not correctly understand. You should file a bug report!

I are also having this issue with Tab and I've not found ^I to be a suitable
workaround here.

What are the symptoms? For me TAB fails in *shell* buffer to expand file names. I have reported this as a bug, the bug was closed as being fixed, but for me it's still there and I am missing a good proof ... There is also one with rather long lines as in 'ls -l `locate <some file name>`' or in 'set path=(...)' that I haven't reported yet since I also do not completely understand possible interaction with tcsh ... In GNU Emacs 22.2 and in 23.0.60 from January it works faultlessly.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping and unintelligent.
                                – H. L. Mencken