Re: Default to No X

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: Default to No X
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:03:49 +0100

Strake <strake888@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using emacs for quite a while now, but one thing has
> always irritated me: that it starts, by default, in X mode, and I must
> use the -nw switch to disable this behaviour, which I sometimes forget
> to do. How can one configure emacs to start without X by default? Can
> it be done in .emacs?

You've had some answers already - for example, no, it can't be done in
.emacs (since by the time emacs loads your ~/.emacs, it's too late).

There might be funky ways on some systems, which are slightly more
robust than an alias line in a bashrc (for example, gui programs won't
necessarily respect that sort of thing).

Debian, for example has something called an 'alternatives' system, which
was designed to solve this sort of problem (although as far as I know,
it only works globally on the system - are there other users you'd be
irritating?).

Rupert