Re: show-paren-mode / blink-matching-paren

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: show-paren-mode / blink-matching-paren
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:18:47 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:46:22AM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > q1. I'd like show-paren-mode to wait show-paren-delay seconds, then
> > show the matching paren, but only do so for some specified amount of
> > time, before going away. However, I don't see a variable specifying
> > how long to show the paren for. What I'm after is the following:
> > whenever I'm curious about what the matching paren is of some closing
> > paren, I can move point to after the closing paren, and it will show
> > me, for a second or so. Currently it's seeming to me that I can
> > achieve this with neither show-paren-mode nor blink-matching-paren
> > (which only blinks on insertion, rather than point being next to
> > paren). Any solutions?
> >
> > q2. A basic question: In my .emacs I'd like to turn on
> > e.g. show-paren-mode in e.g. emacs-lisp mode only. How do I do that?
> > Adding (show-paren-mode t) to my personal emacs-lisp mode hook turns
> > it on in all buffers, right?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ShowParenMode
>
> See the bit about mode local to buffer:
>
> ,----
> | To make this mode local to the buffer use (make-variable-buffer-local
> ???show-paren-mode), add something like this to your .emacs:
> |
> | (defun lispy-parens ()
> |   "Setup parens display for lisp modes"
> |   (setq show-paren-delay 0)
> |   (setq show-paren-style 'parenthesis)
> |   (make-variable-buffer-local 'show-paren-mode)
> |   (show-paren-mode 1)
> |   (set-face-background 'show-paren-match-face (face-background 'default))
> |   (if (boundp 'font-lock-comment-face)
> |       (set-face-foreground 'show-paren-match-face
> |                        (face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face))
> |     (set-face-foreground 'show-paren-match-face
> |                      (face-foreground 'default)))
;; > |   (set-face-foreground 'show-paren-match-face "red")
> |   (set-face-attribute 'show-paren-match-face nil :weight 'extra-bold))
> |
> | (add-hook 'scheme-mode-hook 'lispy-parens)
> | (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'lispy-parens)
> | (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'lispy-parens)
> `----

Nice. That's a lot more helpful than was my last reply to one of your
posts... One thing is that the line I've commented out above seems to
overwrite the previous expression, no? I've removed it from the
Wiki. Someone shout at me if I'm getting this wrong.

I am interested in the answer to q1, but OTOH I'm not so stressed
about it now my matching parentheses have ceased to be horrendously ugly.

Dan

--
www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison