Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:52:57 -0500

2008 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT) Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:

X> Emacs is not a commercial app, so there's not much survival
X> pressure. It simply got dwindling users, more and more esoteric
X> “elite” tech geekers.

X> well, unix's tools and “man” is also used by a exclusive club. Are you
X> suggesting emacs should adopt “man” instead of info, and replace elisp
X> by sed, awk, sh?
>>
>> No.  You've merged two logical fallacies into one flawed argument.

X> What's your point Ted? What is exactly your argument?

X> Are you trying to say, that because emacs is very old, and it is
X> designed for elite programers, therefore its email should not support
X> html mail?

I'm saying exactly what I said: Emacs has always been aimed at people
who can read a manual.  That may, to you, imply "tech geek" but I think
instead it selects for users who think for themselves and don't expect
answers to be spoon-fed to them.  My point is that these users are not
esoteric; many Emacs users I've helped over the years were regular
people who simply needed a good tool for getting some tasks done.

Emacs' support of HTML in sending e-mail is irrelevant to what I said.

X> Honest. I took it that it is not what you mean because you are not
X> that stupid, and i took it that you posted that just to fuck with
X> me. So i gave you the same about unix's tool and man. Do you see now?

OK, you were being sarcastic.  It's hard to tell sometimes.  Anyhow, my
point was that the "can read a manual" club is exclusive by their
willingness to learn, not by how esoteric or geeky they are.

X> Hey Ted, who are you anyway? Sometimes i wonder who's behind the
X> email address in newsgroups. Chances are, if i knew what they looked
X> like in real life, i wouldn't have bothered to respond. LOLz.

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"
--Peter Steiner cartoon in the New Yorker

Ted