Re: How to open a file in sh-mode

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How to open a file in sh-mode
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:24:17 +0300

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:06:59 +0200, "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Henrik Austad <henrikau@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
>>
>> so basically, I think the question boils down to:
>>
>> """
>> How do I create a hook in my .emacs so that all files starting with bash-fc-*
>> will load sh-mode?
>> """
>
> Well that would be the last thing I would do.
>
> My question is:
>
> """
> How do I start emacs in sh-mode from the shell with a file name
> appended at the end of the command
> """
>
> It doesn't seem to be all that complex !

You can probably write a short wrapper script that is used as $FCEDIT to
run the equivalent of:

    emacs --eval "(setq-default default-major-mode 'sh-mode)" file1 file2 ...

That's a bit like "cheating", but it does work.  You are essentially
firing up Emacs with a default-mode of `sh-mode' for new files, which
is nice for editing shell history output.