(emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-brackets

From: David Combs
Subject: (emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-brackets, etc?
Date: 15 Aug 2008 18:38:44 -0400

I'm downloading files of names like:

     http://www.aaa.com/~john/foo-txt.htm

Now, when I do this in a browser (I use lynx (shell-account))
the default name to store it under is foo-txt.htm.

Years later, what I'll want to know is exactly where it came from, ie
I'd like the filename to depict the entire url.

Like this, perhaps?

     http://www.aaa.com/~john/foo-txt.htm

Nope, because regardless of what the computer will
make of it, it'll confuse *me* -- not knowing whether
those slashes represent dir-separators within *my* computer,
or in some far-away (maybe long dead) server.

Hmmm.  Maybe "---" for "/"?

What about ":"?

And what about "~"?

Plus other chars I've not thought of?

Making it even longer, if the *title* of the report in
the file is "10 easy editing tips", and I want that reflected
in the name too.

    Like 10-easy-editing-tips---http<colonSlashSlash>www.aaa.com... (you
     get the idea).

And, whatever we decide on, another question comes up -- how to ENTER
that NAME into the computer -- both in emacs (dired) and in, say, tcsh.

What, iva C-Q for emacs and ^V in unix.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

David

P.S.: Oh, I forgot.  tar shouldn't barf on the name.